Subject: Re: another makefile mystery: COPTS
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 01/20/2000 13:19:02
Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> What's wrong with ``makeoptions "COPTS+=foo"'' in the config, and
> therefore ``COPTS+=foo'' in the kernel Makefile? The `+' will add to
> your environment setting, instead of overwriting it.

We are not talking about kernel config files, we are talking
about what is in arch/FOO/conf/Makefile.FOO. COPTS is THERE defined
as
COPTS?=something

so if you pass your own COPTS via environment, it would override the setting
and machine-specific COPTS are lost.

There is no way to say "all I build now would have -pipe in COPTS".
Note I don't count the makeoptions COPTS+=-pipe, that is just too
inflexible.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/