Subject: Re: ntp4: ELF and missing objects in the shared library.
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 01/19/2000 18:02:46
In message <200001200145.MAA18689@balrog.supp.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>,
Simon Burge writes:

>Folks,
>
>I'm working on integrating ntp4 into NetBSD, and have come across an old
>problem where one library module has a reference to a function that the
>calling program is expected to define, but the program doesn't call that
>module.

Try asking Harlan Stenn nicely to not do that?

I told him about this problem before, and one recent ntp4 snapshot --
4.0.98f, i think it was -- linked cleanly into a shared
library. Harlan is pretty good about fixing stuff, if you explain why
its' a problem and get him to buy into a solution.  Unfortunately, to
*keep* it working probably requires adding libtool smarts to the UMD
ntp autconfiguration; otherwise it can break again without anyone
noticing.

>Two questions then:
>
> 1) Why do we have a libntp as a shared object (or a library at all in
>    /usr/lib)?  The ntp distribution doesn't seem to install it, and
>    it's not as if we get a huge saving - on an alpha:

I dont know.  There used to be a latency argument for static-linking
(x)ntpd and running it noswap, so it'd respond faster when it got its
periodic packets or what-have-you.

We should probably take this to private email.