Subject: Re: Changes to libexec/ld.aout_so/arch/sparc/md.c
To: Aymeric Vincent <Aymeric.Vincent@crans.ens-cachan.fr>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 01/18/2000 16:27:00
On 19 Jan 2000, Aymeric Vincent wrote:

> Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov> writes:
>
> All these patches are gross, and that's why I removed them, I was just
> trying to see if a quick hack could make it work... But
> no... Certainly with little work, I can get a i386->m68k crosslinker,
> but this will be highly specific and awful.

Well, what I'm trying to do is make a tar file which can be grafted into
the pkgsrc/cross/ compilers which will work.

I'd like to keep patches to a minimum, but we can include the files we
want.

What I've done for now is copy all of the source files need into one
directory, with a subdirectory arch, and all of the architectures in
there. I have made arch/*/machine directories, and shoved aout_machdep.h
and param.h into there.

> BTW, gas.old compiles like a charm, and I can cross-compile the Amiga
> (m68k) kernel with ld.new. The problems arise with PIC when trying to
> build shared libs in the main tree (basesrc). Wouldn't it be simpler
> to make ld.new work with gas.old, or to get rid of gas.old and ld.old
> altogether? I suspect there are issues here, else it would've been
> done, but what are they?

Yes, making ld.new deal with our shared lib stuff would be best. But I
don't yet know enough to do that, and someone else is working on it.

I was trying this as a parallel work - so that we aren't dependent on that
one person to get cross-compilers. :-)

I now have something which isn't quite there yet. I've got MID right, and
objdump -x is the same for native-linked and cross-linked files.

Take care,

Bill