Subject: Re: Crosscompiling
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/29/1999 10:56:21
Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Simon Burge wrote:
>
> > > For an install kernel (a kernel using a memory disk root filesystem),
> > > you're right. I think there's been some interest in it. Like some variant
> > > of tar which would use an ffs as the output format.
> >
> > Curious...  I don't recall anything recently on any NetBSD lists - do
> > you have a pointer?
>
> Mostly just mutterings with other developers. Maybe on icb or in personal
> communications. I don't think anyone has any code yet. :-)

Hmm, must get onto icb every now and then...

> [ installboot ]
>
> The versions I'm familiar with use both the mounted file system and its
> raw device to figure out the blocks backing the file. Great if it doesn't
> need to. :-)

It makes sense now (the coffee has kicked in)!  We're talking about
first stage boots along the lines of the i386, where the block numbers
are hard coded.  My answer would be to use a different architecture, but
I'm sure that won't win many votes :-)

Simon.