Subject: Re: Proposed change to GNU config.guess
To: Ben Elliston <bje@cygnus.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/26/1999 00:28:29
On Sun, 26 Dec 1999, Ben Elliston wrote:

: It doesn't need to be *that* platform dependent.  It only needs to be
: guaranteed to work on those systems under test (ie. NetBSD systems).
:
: Cross-compilation doesn't enter the picture: config.guess is only intended
: to determine the type of the build system.  It was never designed to do
: anything more.

Well, then you can use the cc -E ... | grep __ELF__ test I proposed before.
We shouldn't rely on file(1) to report specific messages (think third party
file(1)s in $PATH), or even work properly (there have been many bugs in the
past).

Now... this should dictate a new C preprocessor symbol for NetBSD platforms
that may use a different object format _during_release_ (currently, NetBSD
releases have been made for only a.out and ELF platforms).  Personally, I
think this should be done anyway.

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)