Subject: Re: GNU config.guess and netbsd{aout,elf,}
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/21/1999 23:43:13
In message <2981.943249166@eterna.com.au>matthew green writes:

>   	  a.out        ELF
>   	netbsd       netbsdelf (a)
>

>this is what NetBSD has done `internally' so far so it would be most
>useful if that happen externally as well.  :-)  at least, for the
>i386 & sparc conversions, and i think the m68k folks are using the
>same convention as well.

Um, no.  Arches that started as ELF (ppc?,mipseb) orhave been ELF for
years (alpha, mipsel) and currently use "netbsd" even though they are
ELF. So assuming that "netbsd" means "a.out" seems kinda wdrong.

Or to put it another way, we need to be as invasive as b) or c).
That,, plus the next point, suggests we need a different scheme.

>however, in a couple of years time, i hope we don't wish we went for
>one such that "netbsd" was (will be) now right...

less, surely? In 18 months 1.5 will be over a year old, an on most arches,
a.out NetBSD will be more out of date as 1.3.3 is now. How about
	<arch>-<vendor>-netbsdNNN-{aout,elf},
for ports that need  to transition, which can revert  to just

	<arch>-<vendor>-netbsdNNN

after 2.1 (i.e., two full releases after 1.5).

For dynanic tests -- what does libtool do?  Safest is to link a
hello-world program and use file to test if it's ELF.
(ELF programs  will include "ELF" in file(1) output