Subject: Re: HEADS UP: (repeat!) mipse[bl] splitting
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/02/1999 17:02:44
On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Jonathan Stone wrote:

: Just for the record: We've tried *very* a hard to keep the toolchain
: and the backend ``the same'' on both big- and little-endian mips
: machines.  We build support for both EL and EB into the compiler and
: the rest of the toolchain.
:
: Speaking with the portmaster hat on, there really should not be *ANY*
: netbsd-mipse[lb].[ch] files.

This case is special: it is an a.out backend for mipsel, intended to read
pmax kernels.  I don't think mipseb has an equivalent (the a.out magic
number in question here is M_NETBSD_PMAX).

: Maybe that's already the intent here and its just falling foul of the
: existing mips* setup, but if not, can we fix it?

No.  It's my own blunder, and I intend to fix it (I forgot to commit some
changes).  The fact that mipselnetbsd.c exists is quite deliberate.