Subject: Re: mips/mipsel/mipseb
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/14/1999 14:15:05
>I would guess it'd make sense to have both, iff (if and only if) things
>can't be done within a single mips directory.  I'd assume that most mips
>code is either endian independent or can be made easily so with a few
>#ifdef's at compile time.

Uh, wrong tense.  most code is either endian-independent or is already
handled with #ifdefs at compile-time or assembly time.  The
mips->/mips{el,eb} change was done on the understanding that this
continue to work.

Everywhere that Makefiles use ${MACHINE_ARCH} to find arch-dependent
code now needs to be special-cased for mips.  One could argue that
it's better to leave the Make-time ${MACHINE}_ARCH just the way it
was, and create a new make variable for the places that need to
distinguish mips endian-ness (mostly just pkg-system install dirs, and
the few places that set default toolchain endian-ness).

Either way, it needs to be fixed, and duplicating the existing
mips/ arch-dependent directories isn't acceptable.