Subject: Re: ELF integration on a.out platforms
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/09/1999 11:48:37
My vote would be for option 2.   If we are going to switch to elf, we
should commit to it.   Option 1 sounds like a way to avoid
committing.   I don't think it's surprising or unreasonable to have a
flag day when switching object file formats.   I think it is
important, if possible, to make sure that a new kernel, if installed
on an old filesystem, will correctly run a.out binaries, though
(assuming COMPAT_AOUT, or whatever, is defined).   Am I correct in
thinking that a userland switch to option 2 doesn't preclude this,
since an old filesystem will have an old ld.so?

			       _MelloN_