Subject: Re: etc/Makefile: snapshots in release(7) format
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/07/1999 17:39:21
On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Simon Burge wrote:

> For a diskless boot, do we still want an a.out kernel in / for symbols?

For a diskless boot, you boot from the kernel in / on your NFS
server, generally. So yes you'd want it there. :-)

If you're on a machine that loads the kernel directly via tftp,
rather than a bootstrap loader, yes, you'd still want that same
kernel in the root for the namelist.

> If so then kern.tgz only needs to contain the GENERIC netbsd.aout (named
> netbsd).  Or have I missed something obvious?

kern.tgz is defined (in release(7)) to have and have only a GENERIC
kernel named `netbsd'.

I'm not really sure I'm understanding the problem you're talking
about here. (In fact, I'm sure I don't understand it.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org