Subject: Re: toolchain improvements proposal
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/05/1999 17:42:22
On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Jonathan Stone wrote:

: >Didn't you know?  We already do.  8-)
:
: No, I didn't. I went looking for the emuls line that'd put both a.out
: and elf backends into gas and ld, not just libbfd.

That doesn't quite work with gas, as most targets have `#ifdef OBJ_ELF' etc.
in the tc-*.c files which don't work quite well with the opposite
emulation.  (They assume that #ifdef means that the output is in fact that
format.)

We don't do ld that way because a.out systems currently can't use ld.new.  :)

: The mips backends for gas seems able to do either, tho' I confess I
: havent tried as --emul in ages. Is that mips-specific?

More than likely.