Subject: Re: toolchain improvements proposal
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/05/1999 11:26:16
On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Simon Burge wrote:

: >   This could be extended to include those targets for which we have COMPAT_
: >   options on each architecture (but only for that architecture?).
:
: This would be _kewl_.  Maybe select COMPAT_ targets with a mk.conf
: option - not everyone will want/need this.  OTOH, how much bloat would
: it add, given that the core processor support would already be there?

Given that I've already said stuff like that would not be included on NOPIC
systems...

There would be minimal bloat with bfd as a shared library.  BFD targets are
selected from an array of match functions, from which the "native" format is
checked first, and then called from an array of function indirections.
Non-native formats would never be paged in from libbfd.so when working with
native stuff, as you would never call their functions.