Subject: Re: toolchain improvements proposal
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/05/1999 11:23:20
On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Jonathan Stone wrote:

: >- Make libbfd include "all NetBSD targets" on all architectures.  (Note that
: >  this cannot include 64-bit architectures on 32-bit hosts.)  This could be
:
: It *could*, if we build gdb with its own copy of libbfd.
: Which, iirc, is what Cygnus and the egcs people recommend.
:
: (The only reason for the restricition is the way GDB uses `core_addr's.)

Right.  And it seems that gdb 4.17 doesn't do anything about this.  :-/

However, enabling BFD64 on systems like vax, m68k, and mips would introduce
a pretty significant libbfd slowdown that I don't believe is really worth
the effort.