Subject: Re: proposal: libcc1 -> static
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 01/04/1999 18:23:21
On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, David Brownlee wrote:
>
> : 	Wasn't one of the ideas behind going to libcc1.so to share memory
> : 	between different passes of the compiler to make using pipes
> : 	feasible. (The whole point being to speed up compiling).
>
> Demand paged VM == for the same language, you get this benefit anyway.
> Remember that binaries' text pages are shared, even between different
> invocations, as well as unmodified data pages.  A shared object actually
> slows down each invocation because of all the reloc fixups.  Christoph
> drilled this reminder into me.  :>

	Uh, I do not believe that applies here (Unless different passes of
	the compiler are implemented using the same binary :)

	I understood that a single compile would use cc1, cc1obj and
	(potentially cc1plus), in which case if you are using -pipe then
	you could win with having one copy of libcc1.so in memory shared
	between them?

		David/absolute

	 -=-  "Just adding to the wrinkles on his deathly frown"  -=-