Subject: Re: 2 BFD questions
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/28/1998 16:03:51
On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:

: 1) I'm still sifting through all of the libbfd commands. Is there one to
: rename a symbol? The way crunchide works on elf files is to rename all
: of the to-be-renamed symbols to "__$$hide$$ <progname> <original symbol
: name>" manually. Can I get libbfd to do that? Easily?

I don't personally know the answer to this, but:

: 2) Can I replace /usr/lib/libbfd.so.X.Y with another one with more targets
: built into it without having to re-link all commands (I recall that the
: size of some of the library info gets compiled into an application, and
: thus you run into problems if tables grow or shrink) ?

Yes.  We have a special hack into libbfd that indirects the target table
into a pointer instead of an array.  In fact, I just added coff-i386 and
a.out-i386-{free,}bsd targets to libbfd without bumping the library number
at all.