Subject: Re: cross-compiling and /src/gnu/dist
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/21/1998 21:59:06
On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> : How do I build cross-tools using our in-tree binutils, etc?
>
> You don't without special hacking.  That stuff isn't quite done yet.

Ok, is the special hacking more than just making cross-as's? The last time
I made a tool chain, the only non-binutils tools I had to make were strip,
ld, and as. I thought that we'd taught binutils about our shared lib
format, so only as would be a problem at the moment. ??

> : Also, are all architectures using the in-tree tools?
>
> No.  In particular, ns32k and _m68k_ are not.

Well, that is a problem. :-)

Also, how is powerpc doing? Will it work with the gcc/dist binutils?

I'm asking as I'm testing getting things to work for cross-compiling the
tree. I'd like to get it done in the next month or so, and am willing to
work on tools as time permits (and ability provides :-)

I'd like to do this as AFAICT the only things we lack to cross-build the
world are (other than tools above): changes to lint, tn3270, and a
cross-crunchide. I'm working w/ christos on tn3270, and lint's been batted
around a few times.

So we're close. :-)

Take care,

Bill