Subject: Re: EGCS enabled on mips
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/31/1998 22:12:53
In message <199810312340.PAA19576@Smeg.DSG.Stanford.EDU> Jonathan Stone writes:
: i think i need some more info on the Linux problems...

I'll try to find it.  Might try http://www.fnet.fr/linux-mips/ and see
if there is a link from there to search the mail archives.

: I dug into this some more.  Looking at libbfd from binutils 2.8.1, the
: problem is that the mips ELF ABI requires HI16 relocs to be emitted as
: a pair with LO16 relocs, so that the linker can find the carry from
: relocating the low-order 16 bits and add it into the relocation of hte
: high-order 16 bits. Makes sense, really.

Yes, that's exactly the problem they were having.  Some people were
saying that an extension to the ABI could be made such that this
doesn't have to be the case.  I didn't completely follow, but
rememebered it when you were talking about using heifa.

Warner