Subject: FYI: egcs on mips stable...
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/28/1998 23:07:50
I've rebuilt my userland with egcs, installed /sbin, /bin, and
toolchain-prereq stuff -- yacc, lex, make, etc -- and then rebuilt
everything with egcs, including a kernel.  So far everything I have
tried all works fine, except that linking libstdc++.so causes ld to
dump core.

Todd has some trivial changes to gnu/usr.bin/egcs/common/Makefile, and
some fixups to gnu/dist/gcc/config/mips/netbsd.h. Plus Castor Fu's
patch. I can PR if anyone wants them before they're in the tree.

kernels compiled with EGCS (both UVM and old-VM) work as well for me
as the previous ones.

For myself, I'm ready to cut over to EGCS, but I dont know how this
will affect other mips users. Not being able to use libstdc++ is a
pain, but then the gcc-2722 toolchain doesnt work properly with static
constructors, either. (its really missing functionality in GNU ld.

so,  a) what do people thing about  cutting mips over to EGCS, and
     b) is it even worth thinking about  haifa, say after we resolve
        whatever theproblems are on sparc?