Subject: re: EGCS on mips stable?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Castor Fu <castor@geocast.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/26/1998 09:08:44
[ Apologies to those coming in the middle, but that's what search engines
	are for. . .]

> I'm using -O2. does that make a difference? if not: I'd guess the egcs
> 1.1 you're using now is buggy due to a bug in the egcs 1.0.2 you used
> to compile the cross-compiler with.  my egcs 1.0.2 (same source
> version as yours) works fine.

No -- optimization levels don't make a difference.  I get the same
failure with -O0 and -O2.  I don't think it's the compiler which builds the
compiler either.  I just rebuilt egcs-2.92.16 with gcc2.7.2.1, with a
target of mips-dec-netbsd (the host is FreeBSD 2.2.x by the way. . . )
and get the same error.  Furthermore when both host compiler and target
compiler were egcs-1.02, everything was OK.

My import of -current was done October 10, and the version_string
says it's egcs-2.91.57 19980901.  I don't have CVS access so I can't
tell if an import was done between Sept 29 (when yours was done), and mine,
which is obviously one of the more important questions.

I'm considering trying to build egcs natively, but that is likely to
be a pretty long task given the configuration of the target system.

	-castor