Subject: Re: a.out DOES support `rpath'
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/12/1998 15:46:51
> > Now, not that this says that "ld.so.conf is a good idea to add for backwards
> > compatibility in ELF," it does rather shoot a hole in the main counter
> > argument that ld.so.conf is the "hack that exists because a.out has no
> > rpath."  :-)

>Yah, I could have told you that :-)

Me, too.

>Maybe we could make ld's -R also work as --rpath like binutils ld does?

The cmd-line syntax?  I thought I had already?  There were a bunch of
changes like that which I tried to get into 1.3.2 for pkg reasons.
Last time I looked, I thought the link-time and run-time semantics for
-R weren't quite the same as binutils' linktime vs. run (ld.so)-time
distinctions, tho'.