Subject: Re: modload and binutils
To: Castor Fu <castor@geocast.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/25/1998 11:55:23
On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Castor Fu wrote:

: It looks like the modload command assumes the old BSD linker
: for all platforms but alpha.  It seems like this should
: break on any of the other platforms which use the GNU binutils 'ld'.
:
: I'm not sure if this counts as part of the grand EGCS merge
: or if it's a separate PR.  Presumably this is a trivial
: change, but perhaps there are also implications for bsd.kmod.mk?

<sigh>  LKM's are just plain strange.

With that said, it's just as icky for mips and other platforms with the
strange linker syntax needed for creating modules in the current manner.

What we _really_ need is PIC-in-the-kernel.  With PIC support (and a special
version of rtld) in the kernel, a lot of problems go away.  If you want to
sumbit a PR to that end, I support it fully.