Subject: Re: EGCS 1.1 UPDATE rev. 5 / m68k / MIN/MAX
To: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/19/1998 17:25:30
On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Erik Bertelsen wrote:

: + #include "system.h"
:   #include <stdio.h>

: The purpose of this fix is to include "system.h" very early to
: get param.h included before machmode.h. i386/i386.c also includes
: "system.h" just after including "config.h", so I guess that this
: is really ok.

Actually, the correct way to do it in egcs/gcc2.8 is to kill the <stdio.h>,
too.  "system.h" includes "auto-host.h", which has knowledge of what sysem
includes are there.

: With the resulting compiler I have also rebuilt my kernel (mac68k)
: completely with a few (expected :-() warnings about values possibly
: being used without initialization as well as another warning about
: data alignment (to be reported later), so I hade to turn off -Werror.

As posted in the updates, if you add -Wno-uninitialized to the warns list,
this will be OK.  Not all of these warnings are appropriate or correct.

: -rwxr-xr-x  1 erik  wheel  1082849 Aug 19 22:17 /netbsd

: /netbsd (the egcs-1.1 built kernel) is 2k+ larger than the
: previous few kernels (all based on same config file).

Different methods of doing things, and different optimizations and levels of
inlining.  Did you compile with just the default of -O?