Subject: Re: egcs
To: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/06/1998 20:44:42
On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Paul Goyette wrote:

: It wasn't quite that easy, though.  There was something about having
: to build-but-not-install part of egcs, and then move libg++ out of the
: way, and then rebuild the whole of egcs.  I just can't remember the
: details!  :(

Hum?  The NetBSD tree has been set up to deal with an upgrade or downgrade
of egcs<->gcc2.7.2.  libg++ isn't an issue, really, as you may want that for
binary compatibility (it isn't built at all for egcs); the only real concern
you should have is deleting everything under /usr/include/g++ so that you
don't have old stray libg++ includes lying around.

: BTW, egcs works just fine on my -current NetBSD/mac68k - and it seems
: to be 10% to 20% faster than the old gcc (or maybe that's just my
: imagination running wild).

It works great, as long as you don't use -m68040, -m68060, or -O3.  8-)

egcs 1.1 is supposed to address most to all of those bugs.