Subject: Re: binutils with multiple targets
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/04/1998 14:16:50
On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> : I agree! That's kinda what I want, but not what I got. How can I make
> : binutils-2.9.1 stuff its libs in /usr/local/powerpc-netbsd/lib?
>
> Um, actually, binutils installs _native_ libraries (libiberty, libopcodes,
> libbfd).  Those are actually deletable because it doesn't install includes
> for them; they're practically useless unless you are using shared versions
> (--enable-commonbfdlib --enable-shared).  I thought you were talking about
> the cross libraries that you install manually, extracted from a NetBSD
> distribution.

Ahhhh! Happy sigh! I was confused as one or another of the cross-compilers
I've set up made libraries with m68k in their names which ended up in
/usr/local/lib. As these libraries did NOT have such names, I got worried
that I'd messed something up. Especially about libopcodes...

The non-native libraries will be in the DESTDIR for that architecture. ;-)

Take care, and thanks for clearing that up!

Bill