Subject: Re: MACHINE_ARCH vs. OBJ_ARCH
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/26/1998 14:48:10
>I'm going to rewrite the ONLY_FOR_ARCHS rule such that it can use glob-style
>wildcards.  It's easy to do:

Great.  If you can rewrite _all_ the regular, non-pkg makefiles to use
that construct, instead of the .if tests with an explicit list of
architectures -- like

if (${MACHINE} == "alpha") || (${MACHINE_ARCH} == "mips")

and find _one_ place to fixup the arch/mips subdir walk, and fix
makeflist, I'm happy. I dont quite see how to do that with
ONLY_FOR_ARCHES, at least not more than once more than once per
Makefile, but maybe I'm thick.  I still think it's better to define a
variable that means ``mips arch of any kind''.

It still doesn't address the point that some arch's logicall imply
others (a package for mipseb should be runnable on mipseb64, possibly
with a 32-bit emul package as a prereq) but that's true either way.