Subject: MACHINE_ARCH vs. OBJ_ARCH
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/25/1998 23:41:48
>In the interest of trying on another's shoes, I'll propose Jonathan's own
>alternate solution, OBJ_ARCH, with all extra bases covered.  Please respond
>
>with any comments.  Yes, this means I'm volunteering to do a significant
>chunk of said work, but it's really not as difficult as it looks.

>Define OBJ_ARCH as an identifier that specifies a unique set of CPU,
>architecture, and toolchain criteria:

[snip]

Yes, that looks like what I had in mind.  Thanks for writing it up, Todd.

(I dont thnk the pkg changes look so severe; less work than
defopt'ing.)

There's even a sense in which these two proposals are identical: with
Todd's original proposal we'd need to create a new variable with the
``architecture'' -- "mips" for both mipsel and mipseb, and ${OBJ_ARCH}
is basically what Todd wanted ${MACHINE_ARCH} to be.

I genuinely think ${OBJ_ARCH} will cause less pain than the other, but
at least the choices are now totally clear.

Thanks again, Todd.