Subject: Re: MACHINE_ARCH on mips
To: Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/25/1998 14:25:42
In message  <199807252047.NAA10717@pinhead.parag.codegen.com>,
Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com> writes:

>I have a MIPS gcc cross-compiler built on FreeBSD for a customer to
>build OpenBSD

[snip]

>A script "arcmake" on FreeBSD sets the environment to build OpenBSD
>before invok ing make.  I set:
>
>        MACHINE=arc MACHINE_ARCH=mips ARCH=mips TARGET=mips

Yup. That looks like it's setting up everything for the GNU configure
script to infer that the target is an "arc" machine.  the rules in the
autoconfig scritps use that to decide that the machine is a mipsel-*-arc.
The default bfd vector and CPP predefines gets set appropriately.

As best as I understand it, a NetBSD cross-compiler setup would have
to specify MACHINE, too (how else does the cross-compiler know what to
use for /usr/include/machine?)  If we do that, we can use MACHINE to
choose the default target at cross-compiler config time.

Can't we?

>Regardless of how gcc is configured for MIPS, it is capable of
>generating binari es for either endian and code for any MIPS
>processor.  Compiler options -EB and -EL switch the endian.  The
>initial config is only to set the default.

Yes, Ive said that a couple of times too.