Subject: Re: MACHINE_ARCH on mips
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/25/1998 13:10:43
On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> Even worse is the option (which someone comes up with every 6 months)
> to use 32-bit ints and pointers, but to set the FPU into 64-bit mode.
> That doubles the number of FP registers and may increase memory
> bandwidth.   Is that yet another kind of ${MACHINE_ARCH}?

I'm already doing this in sparc64.  The sparc64 kernel is a 32-bit address
space program that sometimes makes use of 64-bit registers.  It gets
uglier because the PROM is all 64-bit.

In this case I would say that you're running a 64-bit ${MACHINE_ARCH} with
a reduced address space.  The system calls should be 64-bit (adresses
should be extended to 64-bits before a system call).  But the library glue
is what kills you in this model.

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@one-o.com
	"I need to find a pithy new quote." -- me