Subject: Re: IMPORTANT: MACHINE_ARCH WRONG ON MIPS PLATFORMS
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.ORG, tv@pobox.com>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/24/1998 02:10:50
> Using "mips" for both big-endian and little-endian sets MUST be changed,
> regardless of the effects.  Leaving it as-is will break a lot more than just
> config.bfd - it breaks the entire concept of ${MACHINE_ARCH}-global binary
> sets (not to mention the concept of binary pkgs).
>
> Now, the question is how to do it:  make a new "mipsle," perhaps?

I partially agree with this. Also, `uname -m` should answer "mipsle"
on pmax and pica/arc, and "mipsbe" on newsmips, too.
(or, "mips-le" and "mips-be" is prefered?)

But, ${MACHINE_ARCH} should be remained as "mips", because it is
used to determine source directory in Makefile, and the source
directory (i.e. XXX/arch/mips) should be shared between "mipsle" and
"mipsbe".

BTW, powerpc is also bi-endian architecture. What do they do ?
--
soda