Subject: cross compile: the chicken-egg problem
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/17/1998 06:54:09
As an expirament to learn more about netbsd, and porting the OS.. I've
attempted to set up a cross compiler at work.. I've got it working pretty much
on an RS6000 running AIX 4.1.1.  It is able to build netbsd-i386 binaries with
no problems. (they work too!)

Make was a pain to compile.. but eventually I got it working..

Anyhow.. I'm compiling the kernel.. and a few gotchas are appearing.. first
off.. I'm getting a bunch of warnings that complain about strings like:
printf("%b",hexvalue);

saying that b is unknown format argument.

Moving past that..  I found a few more bins I need to build cross compilers for,
(tsort, lorder)

My big question though.. Is how the !@#$ do I move past this, take my kernel,
and get it to floppy.  I'm trying to take this from the approach of "I dont
have a working machine to do this from", so I can learn the exact steps, and be
able to do a port at some point in the future.  I guess my understanding of how
we currently build floppy images involved vnode file systems, and I really
doubt AIX has this facility.  Is there another way to build a floppy image?

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html