Subject: egcs pkg available - EXPERIMENTAL!
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/03/1998 17:02:03
An experimental (please note that word) egcs-current pkg has been added to
pkgsrc.  It should work on all platforms supported by gcc 2.8.  It currently
uses the egcs-19980531 snapshot.  This pkg is not for the light-hearted.  :)

It will install binaries of "cc/gcc", "c++/g++", and "f77/g77" directly into
/usr/pkg/bin.  Do be mindful of where these are in your $PATH - you can mix
old gcc and new gcc compiled C, Objective-C, and FORTRAN code, but you
CANNOT mix compiled C++ code from the different versions.

This version of egcs does NOT install a shared version of libstdc++, and
that is deliberate, in order to avoid versioning clashes with the libstdc++
in /usr/lib (and the in-tree egcs in -current).  However, a PIC library is
made available in /usr/pkg/lib, and I'll provide instructions on how to make
that into a shlib, if you need it, soon.  The pkg was added now so that it
would reach a dozen or so users who have asked about it.

ARM32 NOTE: the PIC library is broken; I'm investigating.