Subject: Re: a.out dynamic libraries
To: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/24/1998 11:32:33
On Sun, 24 May 1998, Krister Walfridsson wrote:

: My sparc is running a system that is built from -current, suped a couple
: of days ago. When I built a libc.so with my brand new ld-2.8.1, and copied
: it to /usr/lib, most running programs dumped core (Xsun, telnetd etc.)
: The new libc seems to be OK, since I don't have any problems at all when
: I restart those programs (but I haven't groweled through the whole symbol
: table, so I may have missed some mangled symbols...)

Did you remember to _delete_ the old library before copying it, or use
"install -c", which does that for you?  If you just copy over, you run into
problems, because dynamic programs that were already running have mmap()ed
the libc.so.12.26 file, which changes when you just copy over top.  Deleting
first makes running programs use a "phantom" copy of the old libc file,
while new ones use the new file.