Subject: Re: egcs 1.0.2 and netbsd.
To: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 04/20/1998 12:17:33
>>>>> Todd Vierling writes:

Todd> We cannot do that in the NetBSD tree, because our tree is headed toward
Todd> cross-compiler independence:  executing shell scripts or very convoluted
Todd> Makefiles without BSD semantics in-tree is a major faux pas.

	EGCS has a special "cross" target.  If NetBSD always wants EGCS to
operate as a cross-compiler, its NetBSD makefile should duplicate all of
the "cross" target.  EGCS cross-compiler support is better than GCC
(incorporating more of the Cygnus cross environment) and continuing to be
improved.

	If the focus is a cross-compiler environment, I hope that you
realize that EGCS is designed like the Cygnus distribution: one can and
should merge EGCS and binutils together (GDB must remain separate because
its bfd library and binutil's version may not be compatible).  This will
bootstrap and build an entire cross compiler, assembler, and linker
toolchain when the "cross" target is selected.

	I understand that you want the tool *in* the NetBSD tree and have
your own framework, but you may be duplicating a lot of work and missing
some important subtlties if you reinvent the wheel too much.

David
David Edelsohn                                      T.J. Watson Research Center
dje@watson.ibm.com                                  P.O. Box 218
+1 914 945 4364 (TL 862)                            Yorktown Heights, NY 10598