Subject: Host compile rules in
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 04/12/1998 19:58:56
I'd like to add the following rules to <bsd.sys.mk> to make use of the host
compiler in a relatively simple manner to compile the "generator programs"
used by some parts of the tree (tn3270, sh, and gcc/egcs in particular).
This will significantly help compilation of the native tree in a
cross-compile environment.

.c.ho: same as .c.o using ${HOST_COMPILE.c}
.l.ho: same as .l.o using ${LEX} and ${HOST_COMPILE.c}
.y.ho: same as .y.o using ${YACC} and ${HOST_COMPILE.c}

Rules to build the "generator programs" should be manually built in the
respective Makefiles, using ${HOST_LINK.c}.

All humor aside, the extension `.ho' may not be the best one to use for
"host native object files."  If there are any better suggestions, please let
me know.  Without objections, I'll commit the rules on Friday and add
changes to egcs to make use of the rules as the first level of test.