Subject: sys.mk .y lossage [2]
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 04/01/1998 11:59:52
On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:

: I've just added changes to the .mk files as follows:

I take that back.

There's so much hackery in the source tree wrt this that the changes broke
builds of too many things.  I'm instead going to propose the following:

- There's no standard saying that a .y.c rule should generate a y.tab.h file
  by default, according to Klaus.  Change YFLAGS to default to nothing (and
  use one of the options described below to enable it in places that our
  source tree needs it).  As it stands, our .y.c rule will clobber any
  "y.tab.h" file in the current directory, which could be bad.

- Set a NetBSD-specific flag, YHEADER, which when set to -d enables
  cleaning of .y counterpart .h files and adds the .y.h rule, which
  (as well as in .y.c) produces a .h file _with_the_same_basename_ as
  the .c file.  If something _really_ wants it named "y.tab.h", it
  should set CLEANFILES+=y.tab.h and YFLAGS=-d (and it won't clobber
  filebasename.h).

- Fix several hackeries in the tree wrt this (using YHEADER in most places
  and removing "YFLAGS=" in others).

- Send me a bag of red bricks.  (I'm sure I'll receive them electronically
  from a couple developers....)