Subject: Re: Patches to make the tree cross-compilable
To: None <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/17/1998 19:49:36
> Hmmm. I'm not sure what to do. Which architectures are on which side of
> the fence with this?

As long as you are looking only into platforms currently supported by NetBSD
there are only differences regarding signed/unsigned chars.  AFAICT the only
ports that use unsigned chars are arm32 and the various powerpc platforms.
This means that currently compiling /bin/sh on say an i386 for a powerpc
wouldn't work too well :-(.

> Also, what's the fix? The only ones which comes to mind would be to either
> use yacc or to have cpp chew on some of the files, generating a file in
> the sh working directory which mksyntax then reads.

The correct fix is to eliminate these generated files alltogether.  Since
it does little more than the isalpha, isdigit etc. macros anyway, this
shouldn't be really hard.

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--