Subject: Re: Patches to make the tree cross-compilable
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/16/1998 16:17:39
On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> The -DSMALL shell relies entirely on makefile munging to compile
> that shell from the regular source. This is why it needs to be
> checked when you do makefile changes.

Ok. Ilearned something. :-) Actually the distrib/util/x_sh Makefile
doesn't seem to do much munging. It seems mostly fine.

Well, I was able to make a mac68k version of x_sh (untested), but make
obvj didn't work right. It made a link from /usr/src/bin/sh/obj.mac68k to
/usr/obj/bin/sh.mac68k, rather than one from
/usr/src/distrib/utils/x_sh/obj.mac68k to
/usr/obj/distrib/utils/x_sh.mac68k. When I made such a link, it was used
right. I got obj.mac68k/mknodes, mkinit, and mksyntax all being
NetBSD/i386 demand paged dynamically linked executables not stripped, and
I got obj.mac68k/sh being  NetBSD/m68k demand paged executable not
stripped.

So I'll need to dig into things a little to see what can be done about
make obj. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Take care,

Bill