Subject: Re: make rules for objective-c
To: Luke Mewburn <lm@cs.rmit.edu.au>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/27/1997 16:05:57
On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> Whilst investigating a PR, I noticed that we don't have standard
> set of rules for compiling objective C source files (``.m'' suffix)
>
> Apparantly '.m' is also used by modula3, mathematica, and matlab.
> I don't see a problem if we add default rules for .m.o:, but others
> may have further input here.
>
> I propose that the following changes are made to the tree:

Sounds good to me (realizing full well that the PR in question might be my
own :-). We do need to do SOMETHING for 1.3 for DESTDIR's to work.

Would it make sence to add some variable to tell the .m rules what to
guess the .m files were, with the default site-configurable, and otherwise
defaulting to, say, objective c? For instance, a Makefile in a Matlab or
Mathematica-dominant directory could turn off all the .m rules for
objective c my just changing this variable.

Take care,

Bill