Subject: Re: /usr/bin/cc versus stock gcc
To: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/03/1997 16:01:49
On Sat, 1 Feb 1997, Brian C. Grayson wrote:

>   Is anyone else concerned with "stock" compilability(?), as far as
> possible?  Is core?  :)  Are these things PR-worthy?

I am. I, and I think a few others, are proponents of moving toward
the point where we use stock gcc and binutils for everything, to
make cross-compling much easier. (I can't see this being a major
problem with gcc, but binutils is another thing entirely, at least
on the a.out ports.) So I would think this would be a good idea.

Unfortunately, this project is large, and I need a lot of study
even to acquire the knowledge to start in on it, so it will probably
be some time before I can do anything. (I expect at this time I
won't be doing anything more than trivial work until this summer,
anyway, due to pressures from `real' work.)

>   I'd be willing to track/find such incompatibilities for
> -i386, if it would be worthwhile.

I think this is an excellent idea.

cjs