Subject: Re: SMP stability issues
To: None <tech-smp@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Rendle-Short <jim@tty1.rr.nu>
List: tech-smp
Date: 11/11/2006 10:00:38

Yes, I had capacitor problems too. It drove me crazy trying to work out what was going on until I read about the Capacitor Problem (http://www.dashdist.com/1u2u/company/capacitor.html). I replaced them all, and it has been perfectly stable ever since. Well, under Linux anyway (and NetBSD on one CPU).

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:52:55 -0500, "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> wrote:

>>> Not really -- it is for machines that have ACPI. In general, I've been
>>> finding of late that many ACPI supporting boxes just don't run right
>>> if you don't use ACPI...
>>
>> .. to the extent of often needing to build custom INSTALL kernels
>> with acpi on i386..
>
> Indeed. I've had horrible instability trying to do installs without
> ACPI on a few times.
>
> Anyway, I think the general message is "if your machine has ACPI,
> try things with ACPI on if you're having problems -- manufacturers
> aren't testing non-ACPI very well any more."
>
> Perry

Ah, now this is interesting. I did not realise that there was problems running a non-ACPI kernel on an ACPI system.

Thanks for the info guys, I will build GENERIC.MPACPI and see how it goes.

Chris.