Subject: Re: MP interrupt problems with PRIMERGY RX300
To: Peter O'Kane <peter.okane@it.nuigalway.ie>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@jodi.nimenees.com>
List: tech-smp
Date: 12/15/2004 14:51:32
On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 05:08:02PM +0000, Peter O'Kane wrote:
> I have a Fujitsu-Siemens PRIMERGY RX300 dual Xeon server (ServerWorks GC LE
> 533 chipset) with an adaptec 2005 zcr raid card.
>
> 2.0 GENERIC.MPACPI or GENERIC.MPBIOS kernel boots ok with only one
> (physical) processor enabled in the bios. With hyperthreading enabled the
> ACPI kernel sees and uses the two virtual processors at apid 6 (BSP) and
> apid 7 (AP).
> With both physical processors enabled either MP kernel fails to configure
> the iop device and reports lost interrupts from the rccide0 while probing
> the atapi bus. The cd drive on the atapi bus is correctly recognized.
> Kernels are built with INTRDEBUG and the dmesg output before the iop
> failure is essentially identical except for the extra cpus.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions for further debugging? Dmesg output from the
> failing case follows.

	hmm.. I'm having similar problems.  My current random guess is that
the local apic's aren't being correctly enabled, possibly because it
doesn't seem like cpu_hatch() is being called.  (There are no "CPU X running"
messages).  However, the boot processor gets the lapic enabled during
initial attach, and it looks like your interrupts are being routed
to the boot processor (apid 6), so it should work.
	Try booting with -d, set a breakpoint on schedcpu, the continue.
When you drop into ddb, "call ioapic_dump", and see if anything are
listed as pending. (especially int14, aka rccide0)
	That's about as far as I've gotten, although I haven't tried
single cpu but with hyperthreading.  I'll need to see if that works for me.

eric