Subject: Re: Problems with a dual Dell SC1420
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@jodi.nimenees.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-smp
Date: 12/14/2004 14:18:21
On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 12:31:31AM -0600, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:

> 	I've got a Dell SC1420 that has two Intel Xeon processors.  So far
> I haven't been able to get it to work using both processors.  It seems
> to run ok with just a single processor.  Turning on "options MULTIPROCESSOR"
> makes it not work.  The reason appears to be some variation on
> interrupts not getting through.

Have you tried MPACPI instead of MPBIOS?  Some Dell machines make our ACPI
code freak out -- but that is a bug that should be fixed, and in general
the ACPI code has a much greater chance of working on machines with
complicated interrupt routing and many buses, I think.  Some machines will
probably not even *have* MPBIOS in the future.

Your time would probably be better spent making MPACPI and the various
ACPI_XYZ_FIXUP options work on this machine than trying to get the MPBIOS
code working. :-/

Of course you could always run NetBSD under Xen ;-) ;-) ;-)

Thor