Subject: Re: Frozen Processes on PowerEdge 8450
To: None <tech-smp@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas T. Thai <tom@minnesota.com>
List: tech-smp
Date: 03/22/2004 19:39:00
Thomas T. Thai wrote:

> I'll go back and try loading a non SMP GENERIC kernel and repeat the
> above to see if it freezes like that again.

This is a followup. I loaded a non SMP GENERIC kernel. This time, all I
did was had it compile a new kernel. About 15 mins later that process
froze. I didn't start the sup process nor top as I did in my previous
posting. With each reboot, a process will run for about 15 minutes,
sometimes longer, but eventually it'll lock up. I can conclude that it
happens to both MP and non MP kernels. I don't think there is a BIOS
setting in the PowerEdge 8450 to disable HTT. It uses PIII Xeons. I'll
try to get the latest kernel (as of lastnight, instead of 3/17) compiled
(may take several reboots) and test that out.

Anyone else know what else I can do to debug this issue? Could the extra
RAM above 4 Gig cause some problems?

Should I keep this thread here or take it to -current?

Regards,

Thomas