Subject: Testing SMP on PowerEdge 8450
To: None <tech-smp@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas T. Thai <tom@minnesota.com>
List: tech-smp
Date: 03/20/2004 03:54:11
I finally got around to trying to load NetBSD on the PowerEdge 8450. I
downloaded NetBSD-1.6.2 ISO image. Installation went fine. Untarred the
syssrc and tried to compile a new kernel with SMP support. I didn't see
GENERIC.MP in the config directory.

1.6.2 doesn't support SMP does it? I should be getting -current? Is
there a recent snapshot or ISO image? The snaps I saw from FTP were from
2003.

Also, I have 24 Gig of RAM in the machine. The BIOS detected just fine.
However, NetBSD-1.6.2 dmesg gave:

total memory = 3839 MB
avail memory = 3561 MB

The other strange thing was when I tried to edit a file using vi. vi
loaded and after editting, vi seemed to hang. Ctrl-Z and Ctrl-C didn't
break it out. I ended up having to resent the machine. Once up again, I
tried vi again on the same file and it worked fine.

Thomas