Subject: Odd lockups on Tiger MP/durons
To: None <tech-smp@netbsd.org>
From: mackstann <mack@incise.org>
List: tech-smp
Date: 03/12/2003 23:46:34
I have a Tiger MP here, with 1.3 Ghz durons, running a -current snapshot
from Feb. 10, 2003, and it mostly works great, however when I first
installed, it consistantly locked up when I tried to run mozilla.
Someone hinted to install a binary package of mozilla, which I did, and
that solved that problem.  A few days later now, after 100% stability, I
ran dillo (a small browser), and it locked the machine up.  Not sure if
this is a known thing or what, but I figured I'd make it known, I
suppose I could try to install dillo from a binary package, hey, it
worked for mozilla, why not? :)

Also, from a google search, it seems no one else has posted a success
with Durons to this list, they are Duron 1.3's ("morgan" core), many
morgan durons are smp-unlocked from the factory, but some (and mine, of
course) were not.  You have to cross the L5 bridges with a pencil. (They
look like |::: and you have to cross one to make them look like |::|,
otherwise the bios will whine at you upon boot and disable cpu1)

This is bios rev. 1.05, btw.

Some bits of dmesg (The Duron Duron part was amusing :) :

mainbus0 (root)
mainbus0: Intel MP Specification (Version 1.4) (TYAN     GUINNESS    )
cpu0 at mainbus0: apid 1 (boot processor)
cpu0: AMD Duron (686-class), 1297.57 MHz, id 0x671
cpu0: features
c3cbfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR>
cpu0: features c3cbfbff<PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MPC,MMXX,MMX>
cpu0: features c3cbfbff<FXSR,SSE,3DNOW2,3DNOW>
cpu0: I-cache 64 KB 64b/line 2-way, D-cache 64 KB 64b/line 2-way
cpu0: L2 cache 64 KB 64b/line 16-way
cpu0: ITLB 16 4 KB entries fully associative, 8 4 MB entries fully
associative
cpu0: DTLB 32 4 KB entries fully associative, 8 4 MB entries 4-way
cpu0: calibrating local timer
cpu0: apic clock running at 199 MHz
cpu0: 8 page colors
cpu1 at mainbus0: apid 0 (application processor)
cpu1: starting
cpu1: AMD Duron Duron(tm) MP (686-class), 1297.49 MHz, id 0x671
cpu1: features
c3cbfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR>
cpu1: features c3cbfbff<PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MPC,MMXX,MMX>
cpu1: features c3cbfbff<FXSR,SSE,3DNOW2,3DNOW>
cpu1: I-cache 64 KB 64b/line 2-way, D-cache 64 KB 64b/line 2-way
cpu1: L2 cache 64 KB 64b/line 16-way
cpu1: ITLB 16 4 KB entries fully associative, 8 4 MB entries fully
associative
cpu1: DTLB 32 4 KB entries fully associative, 8 4 MB entries 4-way
mpbios: bus 0 is type PCI
mpbios: bus 1 is type PCI
mpbios: bus 2 is type ISA
ioapic0 at mainbus0 apid 2 (I/O APIC)
ioapic0: pa 0xfec00000, version 11, 24 pins
 -- snip --
cpu1: CPU 0 running

--
transmission complete | mackatincise.org | fortune@23:00 CST:
Organic chemistry is the chemistry of carbon compounds.