Subject: Re: Lockup with -current via SSH
To: <>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: tech-smp
Date: 02/25/2003 11:43:14
Its marginal, but I didn't get a very strong message that in adopting current
I had to re-make userland for pthreads. Its obvious, but as a dumbo, it
skipped my mind for a lot of apps. I suspect most other (l)users like me don't
really think about the library linkage implications of some applications
either from pkgsrc, or from random net.

so while it won't fix the SMP/pthreads interaction, it might reduce the
workload on people trying to fix things, if the wider issue that you HAVE to
remake things against the current pthreads is 'out there' -Which btw, is a
pretty big thing to put on people. Almost, if not quite, comparable to a major
shared lib version bump.

eg, I had to remake GNU pth as well, to get my mail app (sylpheed) to work.
that was unexpected.

cheers

	-George