Subject: Re: MSI 6501 Dual AMD Athlon MP & 1.6 i386 MP kernel
To: MLH <MLH@goathill.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-smp
Date: 09/18/2002 14:40:47
On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 12:26:56AM +0000, MLH wrote:
> 2) running cpuburn (burnK7), cpu1 will lock up every time. Sometimes
> it takes 2 minutes and sometimes it takes 20.  I'm running a single
> processor kernel right now to see if I can get cpu0 to lock up. I
> assume that cpu0 is used by the SP kernel - the lm sensor indicates
> that it is the same one.

How would you define 'cpu1 locks up', i.e. how have you verified that
this is indeed the case? Is it something like 'if two processes
are started, the 2nd one should run on cpu1 but it never does'?

Unfortunately it is hard to tell what the problem is here without
any debugger output. This problem is also not known to me, and
I can't reproduce it myself (on my dual Athlon Tyan board, used
for my desktop).

For the X problem, you could try to set some more conservative
AGP settings in the BIOS, but I'm grasping at straws there.

If you think cpu1 may be dodgy, try to rule out hardware failure
by replacing it with another one. Or exchange the CPUs on one
board.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                                    fvdl@wasabisystems.com