Subject: Re: Multi-processor SS20 question
To: None <tech-smp@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
List: tech-smp
Date: 08/30/2002 11:51:44
[ I asked this on port-sparc@ and had forgotten about tech-smp@
I will now pester the correct people about this, cutting out
the fluff that had accumulated. ]

Can I mix a SM71 (501-3001 w/ MXCC3.3) and an SM81 and spin up both
processors?

The reason I ask is that mbus.sunhelp.org says the SM81s have
MXCC4.x, or a single entry with just MXCC, and has notes about how
you shouldn't mix mix different cache controllers as SunOS will
probably try to enable the newer features on the older controller.

If that's the only problem, can it be worked around in the kernel?

The reason I ask is that I got the 501-3001 module for a clone SS10
someone gave me, but it appears to have a bad board.  It was cheaper
to buy a SS20 on EBay than to just try and find the one or two
replacement parts.  So I'll have the 501-3001 and an 85MHz SS20.
(Which I assume is going to be an SM81 of some sort since HyperSPARCs
only come in 80 or 90 MHz.)

Without using the smp branch, I was thinking that it might recognize
the second CPU and not spin it up.  (Or maybe crash when it saw
the second one was too different from the first.)

Jon