Subject: Re: Different speed CPUs show up as same speed
To: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-smp
Date: 06/16/2002 22:49:46
John Klos <john@sixgirls.org> writes:
> > Note that, contrary to previous postings on this thread, mixed
> > steppings *are* supported; it's just mixed *speeds* which are not
> > tested (and therefore should not be assumed to work).
>
> I disagree; they should be assumed to work.

I disagree with the law of gravity, myself.

> I've had different speed processors in dual CPU systems for years. Doesn't
> that qualify as testing?

If it works for you, fine. It certainly isn't something we should ever
encourage. Lots of stuff breaks -- calibrated loops, applications that
make use of specific instructions that aren't in both processors,
etc. If you want to do it, fine, but I don't want anyone wasting time
making support better for a bad idea.

> We're NetBSD, and we should be happy to say that we support whatever is
> thrown our way.

No, we're a volunteer project, and we are happy to include whatever
support is provided. There is a big difference.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com