Subject: Re: Different speed CPUs show up as same speed
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Ken Seefried <ken@seefried.com>
List: tech-smp
Date: 06/14/2002 02:55:32
Rick Kelly writes:

> Ken Seefried said:
>
>>Hmmm...not sure if that jives.  The Balance machines were National Semi
>>32000 based machines.  I didn't think there was an upgrade path between
>>Balance and Symmetry short of a forklift.
>
> I saw the upgrades myself. However, the upgraded machines couldn't upgrade
> to 486.
>
> Believe me, I was supporting a total of 20 Sequent machines of one form or
> another.

Don't doubt you a bit.  We had some Balances that simply faded away (wonder
if I can find one), and a number of i486 Symmetry boxen at GaTech.  However,
I never saw a Balance turn into a Symmetry.

Thanks for the info.

OT: One of my old clients wants to give me a baby Symmetry.  Wonder if I
have room for it...

Ken